Rants & Epiphanies
•••
“Wisdom that will bless I, who live in the spiral joy born at the utter end of a black prayer.” — Keiji Haino
“The subject of human creativity is not an ethnic-centric, but a composite subject.” — Anthony Braxton
“… It is not my mode of thought that has caused my misfortunes, but the mode of thought of others.” — The Marquis de Sade

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Daniel Kaluuya || ‘I’m not a spokesman. No one’s expected to speak for all white people’





The guardian’s (Emma Brockes) || ‘I’m not a spokesman. No one’s expected to speak for all white people’


I don’t like race debates. I find them boring. What’s to debate? Do you think racism’s good? What are we debating? Let’s just go and do our shit. It doesn’t mean I shy away from it, but I’m not ‘interested in race’. It’s just something I have to have a deep understanding and knowledge of, because of my experience, and because I have to navigate the western world. It’s something I have to know about first to survive, and then to thrive.”
… “Race is not something I’m interested in like I’m interested in music. I’m not reading so many essays [about race] for fun; I’m reading them because I need to know how to articulate myself in certain situations, and I feel very alone in certain spaces. And I feel weird, and I have to have a word map, and the armour. I know about race for armour. I don’t know about race to make myself feel good.”
…
I don’t see myself as a victim. You may victimise me, but you will not make me feel like a victim. And if you think you can, then what sort of person are you?”
…

“If you’re baffled by me, then you’re baffled. I’m not baffled by me. I’ve been with me for a while. So I’m just going to keep going.”
Daniel Kaluuya







No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Lisboa, Portugal
Learning to better myself.